Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Yummy Low Fat Low Cal Tzatziki

Hello Blog World,

As you all know by now I am on a healthy lifestyle challenge, trying to change my life and my shape into something more healthier, I am mainly doing this for myself but also as an example to my daughter. 

Anyway I love my salads, but I need something on them and while I want to steer clear of oily dressings I still want to keep flavour.  A friend of mine suggested tzatziki for a dressing and while I was a bit suspect at first once I tried it, it was like WOW where have you been my whole life. 

You can buy the store bought dip if you like it’s quite nice, but if you want to make a fresh batch that tastes divine it is quite simple.
Here’s what you will need to make it  

  • 2 cucumbers, peeled and diced
  • 1 1/4 cup no-fat yogurt
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp dried dill
  • 3 tsp lemon juice


Directions
Combine yogurt, olive oil, dill, lemon juice, and garlic in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate one hour.   Dry cucumbers by patting with paper towels.  Whisk yogurt mixture until smooth. Add cucumbers to the yogurt mixture. Salt and pepper to taste.
(recipe source)

I use about a 2 tablespoons per salad which is roughly 35 calories and 1.5 grams of fat, when you combine that with just a garden salad and some canned tuna or grilled chicken your whole meal is approximately only 125-150 calories with a massive 2 grams of fat!!! A really low fat, low cal dish that is tasty and leaves plenty of calories for other things!  The best thing is you can really pile your plate up and you wont feel hungry.

salad

See look how yummy this looks, I normally add whatever I have on hand, cucumber, tomato, capsicum, celery, mushrooms, carrot the list can go on and on.  I often have it with tuna or grilled chicken as a dinner when I have had a big lunch or lunch.

Now I am off to aerobics, then some blog hopping, dinner and treadmill (and maybe some housework if I have to!)  Until then Happy Crafting.
42BD3B7A067E1982B5D475547CB5DF09



Linking up with the fabulous parties
<>     <>
 
Confessions of a Stay At Home Mommy homework

1 comments:





NarNar said...

Mmm...I absolutely love tzatziki but I never thought to use it as a salad dressing. Great idea! Do you guys have the fat free Greek yogurt in Australia? Greek yogurt only caught on in America a few years ago (at least I only remember starting to see it in supermarkets about 5 years ago). Before we had access to Greek yogurt I used to take regular fat free (or low fat) yogurt and drain it in a colander lined with paper towels and let it sit on top of a bowl all day long to get all the extra moisture out. It worked quite well! Anyway, thanks for sharing your healthy recipe...I can just imagine how delicious it makes a salad taste!

Post a Comment