Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Awesome

Hello Blog World

Spent an AWESOME Sunday with my daughter Tiana, we made bracelets, had lunch, painted our nails and made a sign for her room.
Tiana likes to have a look with me when I am perusing the link parties, she’s often going oooh, ahhhh, click that mum.  Most often at cakes, biscuits etc… so when she asked me to click this beautiful little thumb from Anna from Directions not included, who is guest posting over at The Crafty Scientist

Awesome11

I was very surprised.  She wanted to make one right away!  So off we went into my craft room to see if we had supplies and yes we did.  I didn’t have a rectangle board or canvas, but we did find a 10” x 10”  canvas.  I also don’t have a silhouette or wishblade or anything that extravagant but I did have these letters that we thought at the time would make great stencils.

awesome sign 2

And even my cat Donkey had to get in on the action when sorting out what letters we needed.

awesome sign

So we wanted to make sure they would all fit on the canvas, so before painting, we got the trusty ruler and grey lead, did some measurements and did a rough draft.

awesome sign 3

Seeing that they were all going to fit, off Tiana went and painted the whole canvas black

awesome sign 4

Once dried, out came the trusty white pencil and we re-sketched the lines very lightly and started painting with the stencils.  Now because they are chipboard and not flat like normal stencils the bright aqua paint we originally planned on using didn’t like it and smeared and smudged a lot under the stencil.  So we scrapped that idea and because of my husband’s clever idea we chose to spray paint.  Unfortunately we only had silver paint on hand, but the effect is still good and it took a lot longer than originally anticipated.

awesome sign 5

We had to touch up a bit in between lines as we had to spray letter by letter using plastic protector sheets to protect the rest of the canvas, as well get rid of our white sketch lines. It took a lot longer than originally anticipated.

All in all we are very happy with the result and we both love how quirky the letters are and that some of them are even a bit off centre.  It gives the whole piece character.

awesome sign 6

So check out The Crafty Scientist and Anna at Directions not Included, they are both great blogs with fantastic ideas, and thank you Anna for the wonderful inspiration!

Now I have to go and pack as I am flying off to Melbourne for 10 days tomorrow and it’s gonna be absolutely great!!!

Until then happy crafting42BD3B7A067E1982B5D475547CB5DF09





5 comments:





Becky said...

I love it!! Actually looks "natural" instead of being yet another sign done with vinyl...

Unknown said...

I love it too! I think Anna will be SOOOO excited to see that she inspired you and your daughter and your version is just awesome! I love it! Thank you SOOOO much for showing me/us your version - I'm so jealous of these signs... I think I might have to make one for myself! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

Anna@Directions Not Included said...

Love it!! So glad I was able to inspire you. When I first posted on my blog my cat helped with the project too :)

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

visiting from a link party. I love this! The quote makes me giggle. And it came out great.. very pretty :)


I would love for you to share this at my Friday link party going on now.. oh and dont forget to enter my TinyPrints giveaway too!

Kelley @ TheGrantLife.com said...

Thanks again for linking up your 'awesome' sign. Cant wait to see what you share this week : )

Post a Comment